Block writing to USB Removable Disks
To block your computer’s ability to use USB Removable Disks follow these steps:
1. Open Registry Editor.
2. In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
1. Create the following value (DWORD):
and give it a value of 1.
Note: As always, before making changes to your registry you should always make sure you have a valid backup. In cases where you’re supposed to delete or modify keys or values from the registry it is possible to first export that key or value(s) to a .REG file before performing the changes.
1. Close Registry Editor. You do not need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.
Users trying to write to any USB Removable Disk will now get an Access Denied message.
Enable writing to USB Removable Disks
To return to the default configuration and enable your computer’s ability to use USB Removable Disks follow these steps:
1. Go to the registry path found above.
1. Locate the following value:
and give it a value of 0.