Technical Interview Questions — Networking
* What is an IP address?
* What is a subnet mask?
* What is ARP?
* What is ARP Cache Poisoning?
* What is the ANDing process?
* What is a default gateway? What happens if I don’t have one?
* Can a workstation computer be configured to browse the Internet and yet NOT have a default gateway?
* What is a subnet?
* What is APIPA?
* What is an RFC? Name a few if possible (not necessarily the numbers, just the ideas behind them)
* What is RFC 1918?
* What is CIDR?
* You have the following Network ID: 126.96.36.199/27. What is the IP range for your network?
* You have the following Network ID: 188.8.131.52. You need at least 500 hosts per network. How many networks can you create? What subnet mask will you use?
* You need to view at network traffic. What will you use? Name a few tools
* How do I know the path that a packet takes to the destination?
* What does the ping 192.168.0.1 -l 1000 -n 100 command do?
* What is DHCP? What are the benefits and drawbacks of using it?
* Describe the steps taken by the client and DHCP server in order to obtain an IP address.
* What is the DHCPNACK and when do I get one? Name 2 scenarios.
* What ports are used by DHCP and the DHCP clients?
* Describe the process of installing a DHCP server in an AD infrastructure.
* What is DHCPINFORM?
* Describe the integration between DHCP and DNS.
* What options in DHCP do you regularly use for an MS network?
* What are User Classes and Vendor Classes in DHCP?
* How do I configure a client machine to use a specific User Class?
* What is the BOOTP protocol used for, where might you find it in Windows network infrastructure?
* DNS zones — describe the differences between the 4 types.
* DNS record types — describe the most important ones.
* Describe the process of working with an external domain name
* Describe the importance of DNS to AD.
* Describe a few methods of finding an MX record for a remote domain on the Internet.
* What does “Disable Recursion” in DNS mean?
* What could cause the Forwarders and Root Hints to be grayed out?
* What is a “Single Label domain name” and what sort of issues can it cause?
* What is the “in-addr.arpa” zone used for?
* What are the requirements from DNS to support AD?
* How do you manually create SRV records in DNS?
* Name 3 benefits of using AD-integrated zones.
* What are the benefits of using Windows 2003 DNS when using AD-integrated zones?
* You installed a new AD domain and the new (and first) DC has not registered its SRV records in DNS. Name a few possible causes.
* What are the benefits and scenarios of using Stub zones?
* What are the benefits and scenarios of using Conditional Forwarding?
* What are the differences between Windows Clustering, Network Load Balancing and Round Robin, and scenarios for each use?
* How do I work with the Host name cache on a client computer?
* How do I clear the DNS cache on the DNS server?
* What is the 184.108.40.206 address used for?
* What is WINS and when do we use it?
* Can you have a Microsoft-based network without any WINS server on it? What are the “considerations” regarding not using WINS?
* Describe the differences between WINS push and pull replications.
* What is the difference between tombstoning a WINS record and simply deleting it?
* Name the NetBIOS names you might expect from a Windows 2003 DC that is registered in WINS.
* Describe the role of the routing table on a host and on a router.
* What are routing protocols? Why do we need them? Name a few.
* What are router interfaces? What types can they be?
* In Windows 2003 routing, what are the interface filters?
* What is NAT?
* What is the real difference between NAT and PAT?
* How do you configure NAT on Windows 2003?
* How do you allow inbound traffic for specific hosts on Windows 2003 NAT?
* What is VPN? What types of VPN does Windows 2000 and beyond work with natively?
* What is IAS? In what scenarios do we use it?
* What’s the difference between Mixed mode and Native mode in AD when dealing with RRAS?
* What is the “RAS and IAS” group in AD?
* What are Conditions and Profile in RRAS Policies?
* What types or authentication can a Windows 2003 based RRAS work with?
* How does SSL work?
* How does IPSec work?
* How do I deploy IPSec for a large number of computers?
* What types of authentication can IPSec use?
* What is PFS (Perfect Forward Secrecy) in IPSec?
* How do I monitor IPSec?
* Looking at IPSec-encrypted traffic with a sniffer. What packet types do I see?
* What can you do with NETSH?
* How do I look at the open ports on my machine?