get a lot of questions concerning the deployment of Windows XP on ESX. By default, ESX will use the LSI Logic driver when deploying a new Windows XP virtual machine. The LSI Logic driver is not found on the CD-ROM media, so Windows XP will not continue with the installation if this driver is not found.
- Link the .flp file via the Floppy options => use existing floppy image in datastore in your Virtual Machine. Do NOT connect it yet.
- Power On your Windows XP machine. The installation of Windows XP should begin.
- During setup, press F6 to select additional SCSI drivers
- Now is the time to connect your floppy and use S during Windows Setup when prompted to connect to the floppy drive.
- The LSILogic drive should appear. Press ENTER to continue
- Setup will continue as normal
- Install VMware tools
NOTE: when using the BusLogic driver instead, you can download & use a preconfigured .flp file from the VMware site: http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmscsi-18.104.22.168.flp. Follow the same procedure as described above. The driver should be name VMware SCSI Controller in Windows XP.